Friday, September 19, 2008

September 19, 2008

This week in computer we learned a lot! We started the week off by creating our own website. We went to a place by the name of sites.google.com which allowed us to choose our own URL which will take you straight to your web page on the internet. I chose mine to be sites.google.com/site/laikynshumway. But anyway after we did that and filled out some simple information, we got to create our own web page. I started out choosing a background which i liked the best, then the design how i wanted it layed out on the page. I just stuck to the regular layout. But from there we listed our top 10 dreams! It was fun to do because i really have not thought of my dreams in a long time and im at the age i should probably start working hard towards them! After i listed my top ten dreams, i listed some bullets of simple things like my hobbies, where i am from, my family, and what sports i play. When I got home i also downloaded some pictures of me and uploaded them onto my web page. I really enjoyed this part!

I think having and knowing how to create your own web page will help me out a ton when i am a teacher! There is so many different ways i could use it. One way i think would be a fun way to use it would be to make sort of an online scrapbook of my class that the parents and family members of the students could look at to see what goes on in class. I could take pictures of my class and write about the activites we did that day. I also could use it to tell about myself to give parents of my students a little more information about their child's teacher. That might give them a more safe and secure feeling about sending their child to me each day. I really thought it was cool to make my own web page, and im sure i will use this tool more than once!

Another thing we did in class this week was create a uen accout. We filled out some information about us and then created a username and password. This was basically to keep us in the school's network and it will send emails to our UVU email account. We played around with this for quite awhile. We learned how to alter it to our liking. For example we can change the color and how the columns are set up. We also can choose what we have on our main page. Whether we want the weather, documents, polls or even stock markets! I thought that was kinda cool. We also learned how to work the pioneer library and how to find information we will need throughout our college experience.

I know i will use my uen account because it has a ton of helpful tools. When i am a teacher i can show my students this and work with other teachers through this tool. I think it will be a very helpful thing to know once i fully understand it and know how to work it good! I learned a ton in class this week and also had some fun!

No comments: